Saturday, October 16, 2010

Lake Moraine - Banff National Park

We have looked forward to a trip to Glacier National Park for the last six months. I had dreams of hikes to pristine mountain lakes with stunning sunrise and sunset pictures. Alas! It was not to be. The day before we arrived it snowed 10" and then continued to rain and snow the entire time we were there. We heard on the local weather that the only place that was not totally socked in was 250 miles north - in Canada. We packed our gear into our car and headed north. We were really excited to watch as the moon began to rise behind Mount Rundle in Banff, only to have our hopes dashed when the sky filled with clouds and blocked the view. We got up early in the morning and headed to what I believe is one of the most beautiful places on earth, Moraine Lake. As we got there, the entire mountain was shrouded in clouds. We got out the cameras just as the clouds lifted and were treated to this view of the valley after a fresh coat of early fall snow. This has to be one of the most photographed spots in the world, but I think we caught it on one of the best days. A few minutes later, busloads of Japanese tourists descended on the lake and the cloud level dropped and shrouded the valley from view.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I just made this image my desktop wallpaper. This picture, like all your pictures, is amazing. But I think it's my favorite. I love the blue of the lake with the reflection of the mountains, the low lying clouds blanketing the base of the rocky peaks and then the turquoise blue sky. I've never been to Banff. The rest of my family stopped there on their drive back from Alaska, while I stayed in Alaska for a month then flew home. This picture makes me wish I could just jump in the car and drive to Banff right now. Okay, maybe that's not possible, but it's definately going on my short list of places to visit.